The Horizon Europe research and innovation programme aims at:
- strengthening science and technology in the European Union through increased investments in highly skilled people and cutting-edge research
- promoting the EU’s industrial competitiveness and its innovation performance
- achieving the EU’s strategic priorities, such as the Paris Climate Agreement, and addressing global challenges that affect the quality of our daily lives.
Horizon Europe has three themes (‘pillars’):
- Excellent Science, supporting frontier research projects that researchers themselves define and direct through the European Research Council (ERC). In addition, this pillar funds fellowships and exchanges for researchers through Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) and invests in research infrastructures.
- Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness, supporting research related to societal challenges. The European Commission has formulated these into six clusters:
- Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society
- Civil Security for Society
- Digital, Industry and Space
- Climate, Energy and Mobility
- Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment.
- Innovative Europe, aiming to make Europe a leader in market-creating innovation. The pillar helps develop the overall European innovation landscape, among other things through the EIC Accelerator program and strengthening of the European Institute for Innovation and Technology (EIT). In this way, it promotes the integration of business, research, higher education and entrepreneurship.
The Horizon Europe programme is open to all types of organisations from EU Member States and Associated Countries. From start-ups, SMEs, universities and research organisations to large companies. The EU sets the bar high, because only the most innovative projects receive funding. In addition, many ‘calls’ require the cooperation of at least three parties from three different countries.
Download the Horizon Europe magazine
Do you want to boost your innovation strategy by using Horizon Europe funding? Download the Horizon Europe E-magazine and you will find the tools and information to make a success of your project.
How can we help you?
Do you have project plans or ideas – for example, in the field of green chemistry – that might be eligible for a Horizon Europe grant? PNO Chemistry’s consultants will be glad to explore the possibilities of setting up a solid project consortium and help you submit your grant application. Feel free to contact us.